Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

30 September 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top 10 Books That Were Hard for Me to Read

'Top Ten Tuesday' is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. I love making lists, so this feature fits me perfectly! If you also take part in this feature or have any additions to my lists, please get in touch; I'd love to hear from you!
 
 
Top Ten Books That Were Hard for Me to Read

This week's Top Ten Tuesday definitely made me think for quite some time! Books that were hard for me to read, whether they were just really difficult, or the subject matter was personal, or the book was just cringeworthy... I managed to come up with 10 books, and I'd like to see whether there are other readers out there who share my opinion! 



1. Amanda Prowse - 'Will You Remember Me?'



This book tells the story of a main character who discovers she has cancer. This is something that hits quite close to home for me and it definitely had me in tears, making it difficult to continue and finish the book.




2. J.K. Rowling - 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'



I don't think I have ever cried as much while reading a novel as when I was reading the last part of the Harry Potter series. I couldn't get through the pages fast enough, but at the same time I never wanted it to end.





3. Mary Fitzgerald - 'The Love of a Lifetime'



I love war-time romance stories, but they always make me think of my grandmother, who passed away last year. I was really close to her and while I love remembering her, it can sometimes get a bit emotional!





4. E.L. James - 'Fifty Shades of Grey'



When I read that cringeworthy books were also allowed in this week's top 10, I immediately had to think of the '50 Shades' trilogy....





5. Ashley Prentice Norton - 'The Chocolate Money'



I remember having a really difficult time trying to finish this book. It's something I would never have picked up by myself, but I received a review copy and decided to give it a go. I ended up really not enjoying the book and was glad when I had managed to finish it.





6. William Shakespeare - 'Hamlet'



Books that were hard for me to read... Shakespeare has to be on this list. I remember all the hours struggling to get through his plays while I was at university.




7. Jodi Picoult - 'The Pact'



Somehow Jodi Picoult's novels are also really difficult reads for me. I don't know whether it's the sensitive topics she deals with, but I especially remember struggling to get through 'The Pact.'





8. J.M. Coetzee - 'Disgrace'



If I have to name one author I was introduced to during my time at university whom I will forever remember but will NEVER EVER pick up another book from ever again, it has to be J.M. Coetzee.





9. Ann Brashares - 'Sisterhood Everlasting'



I love love love 'The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.' I don't want to give too much away about the last part of the series, especially for those of you who haven't read it yet, but I was really shocked with what happened at the start of the book and it really made me look at the series in a different way.




10. J.R.R. Tolkien - 'The Lords of the Rings'



I have to admit I never actually finished 'The Lord of the Rings'... After the first 60 pages I just gave up *hangs head in shame*


What are some of the books you found hard to read? I'd love to hear from you! 

13 comments:

  1. Do not even get me started on 50 shades of grey! jesus christ reading that book was just... i can't even.

    Great list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know the feeling! I really thought the plotline had potential, but the way the story was written and worked out... Not one of my favourite books, let's keep it at that! Thanks for stopping by, Becky! :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting choices and I chose The Lord Of The Rings too but for a different reason as I love the books completely. I did think about including The Deathly Hallows but changed my mind at the last minute!

    New GFC follower

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thea! I've just taken a look at your TTT and you've convinced me to give the LOTR trilogy another chance sometime in the future!

      Delete
  3. Hamlet has been the hardest of Shakespeare's plays for me to get through so far. I prefer a comedy any day of the week. ;)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/09/top-ten-books-that-were-hard-for-me-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I agree with you 100%! Thanks for stopping by, Lois! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh man, you're not alone with some of these. I grew up reading Harry Potter, so getting through the last book was a STRUGGLE. I just didn't want it to end, I didn't want to accept there weren't going to be any more.
    The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was a huge part of my high school experience, so you can imagine my excitement at a fifth book. But it was actually a huge letdown for me, and I just couldn't enjoy it as much as I had wanted to.
    And The Lord of the Rings was a struggle for me, too. But three months and three books later, I found I loved the series a lot and that I was proud at finishing it - which is more than a lot of people can say! I definitely encourage you to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your reply, Lauren! We share the same feelings when it comes to Harry Potter and the Sisterhood books! It's great to talk to someone who also had trouble getting through LOTR at first, but actually tried again and loved it. I guess I really have to give them another chance!

      Delete
  5. I love your blog! So soft and pretty. And like you, I started crying in HPDH when Hedwig was killed and didn't stop til the end. I"m sad it's over too. But I find it living on in the various fan fictions I've read. You've got a couple I need to add to my to read list (Love of a Lifetime is one).

    Here's my list if you want to stop by.
    http://dawnsdreams.blogspot.com/2014/09/top-ten-books-that-were-hard-for-me-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Dawn, that's lovely to hear! :) 'Love of a Lifetime' is a wonderful read, hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. I've never finished The Lord of the Rings, either. I got a few pages in and got bored. I have read The Hobbit, though; I enjoyed that one.

    I'm not a huge fan of Shakespeare. I actually had to do Hamlet twice... once in high school, and then the next year in university! It's not my favourite. I do, however, really like Much Ado About Nothing. I read it just for fun the summer after my first year of university. I'd call it "Shakespeare for People Who Don't Like Shakespeare". It's actually a pretty fun play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have to give 'The Hobbit' a fair chance as well! Shakespeare definitely has some nice plays, but 'Hamlet' just wasn't my cup of tea. Haha, great title! Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete