Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

21 September 2016

Review: 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyes (2012)

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

I think it wouldn’t be strange to say Jojo Moyes’ novel ‘Me Before You’ has become kind of a chick lit classic over the years, since its release in 2012. Even though this book was recommended to me by various friends and other book bloggers, and even though I stumbled upon positive review after positive review, I somehow never actually sat down with the book. Don’t ask me why, I guess it just became one of those books added to my to-read list, but I never found the time to pick it up. So, this summer I was determined to finally read it, also because I wanted to read the book before seeing the much talked about film version that was released earlier this year. The book travelled with me to Scotland this summer and I’m glad to say I’ve now read it and am quite excited to share my review with all of you today…!

Twenty-something Lou Clark knows she doesn't have the most exciting life in the world, but it does just fine for her. She enjoys her job at a local tea shop, has been in a relationship with her sport-addicted boyfriend Patrick for quite some time already, and spends almost all of her time at home with her family. Lou is suddenly forced to rethink her life when she loses her job and needs to find something else. At the other side of town, Will Traynor hates his life. Because of a motorcycle accident he is now a quadriplegic and no longer able to live his life to the max, like he used to. When Lou and Will meet, it seems they have absolutely nothing in common at first, but this is just the start of something life-changing for both of them.

After finally reading Jojo Moyes 'Me Before You' I have to say I now definitely understand the hype around this book and its author, and I also agree with it; what a stunning and emotional read, wow. What immediately struck me is Jojo Moyes' comfortable and convincing writing style; the book is filled with great dialogue, good descriptions, and the storyline held my attention throughout the novel. She's clearly a born storyteller and I already can't wait to pick up some of her other works. If I have to pick one favourite thing from this novel, it has to be Lou, the main character. She's in a way unique and unlike any other character I've come across, but I could easily relate to her at the same time. I loved how funny she was and how we, the readers, were given the chance to join her and see her grow as a person. 

A good chick lit/romance novel needs convincing chemistry and that's definitely the case for Lou and Will; I loved their first meeting, the banter between them... Just writing about it now makes me want to pick up the book again! The story is all about love, family and friendship, but most specifically about making choices and living your life to the fullest; an important message Jojo Moyes managed to incorporate in a simply beautiful story. 'Me Before You' is an incredibly well-written, touching and bittersweet novel that completely deserves all the praise it's been given; I honestly can recommend this book to everyone, it really is a classic.
Rating:10/10
 
For more information about this book: Amazon.co.uk / Amazon.com / Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment